Monday 16 April 2012

Mercenary General painted

Yesterday I finished painting my first model in weeks. In truth he didn't take very long (probably only a few hours), however my focus has been sufficiently lacking that I think it took me 4 sittings to actually get everything done - a little bit here, a little bit there. In some ways this is probably appropriate, since I'm certain I've had this guy for more than 10 years. No point hurrying, right?

Anyway, here he is: the old Mercenary General model from the Dogs of War range (to be used in my Empire army, of course):
Dogs of War Mercenary General
I figured his being a character model meant he deserved a decent resin base - it makes him look a little fancier and gives him more height. I also added a new colour to my normal palette to make him stand out from the sea of purple and white than my army is becoming. The blue seems to work well with the purple, so I'm happy there. I also gave him a shiny magic sword, because let's face it - generals should always have shiny magic swords.
Another shot, from the side
Painting of the model was going smoothly until the very end, when I highlighted his sword. I got clumsy and got some green on his shoulder and face, which were already painted. Annoyed at myself, I managed to largely repair the damage. Then, in a fit of complete uselessness, I utterly botched his eyes. It was like my paintbrush had grown to 10 times its normal size, and simply couldn't fit into the gaps between his eyelids (or even the gaps between his brow and cheekbones). I made a horrible mess and spent far more time than I would have liked trying to undo what I had done. In the end I think his right eye is OK, but he is decidedly squinty on the other side. By the time I had painted over my indiscretions, I couldn't make out the detail of the eye properly anymore and decided I would just have to leave it. Such is the life of a lazy, sometimes rubbish painter...
Old squinty, up as close as my phone would let me get.

3 comments:

  1. Love the model one of the best painted in the army.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave. Clearly the squint doesn't translate in my less-than-optimal photos. The benefits of poor photography, eh? ;-)

    ReplyDelete